North Kingdom & The Woodbot Pilots — Almost a year after receiving the first wooden prototypes, the last round of feedback has been sent to our friends in Hong Kong. Yes it has been a long process but the timing hasn’t been an issue when it’s a pure side project. These last guys arrived last month and look pretty cool, but it will be a fourth, a final round this summer when I still have some issues with the design. When we need a financier, like Kickstarter.com, for the production we need these characters as perfect as possible. When we are done, they will be sold three and three in a limited edition of 500.
In the last round we will fix details like head logotypes, horns placements, the finishing and a redesign of the box.
Detail study; logotype cut in wood and the hands with flexible fingers.
The photos are taken just outside my apartment at the Observatorium.
North Kingdom, Woodbot Pilots — We received the second round of prototypes a couple of weeks ago. One step forward, two backwards. I really like the way they solved the logotypes, which here are carved into the wood, but there are pretty many parts that not are solved yet and I start to wonder if they really can make it as we want it or if we need to made the design simpler or use another material. It is pretty interesting to work with China factories when you don’t know what you get. Our blue print had for example one black cable on the left arm, now we have two red ones, which is fine; most important is to see what can be done and not. But I am very concerned that they do not follow the feedback at all and they mix up the parts. Our big dude have here the small characters arms…
We have tried a new way to make the eyes which looks pretty cool. The faces (the screens) are one part we have not been able to see how it can be made. Unfortunately.
Three prototypes of pretty much the same body. As you can see, you need to be open minded of what you get. The shapes have become more rounder in the last model which is perfect. The color should be more like the one in the middle but it was great to see how a lighter version would look like. The horns have get a pretty strange shape thou…
The middle stripes is missing which is a shame when I think they do pretty much to the overall feeling. Hopefully we will have it on place on the last, third round of prototypes later this month.
Logotype design and positioning.
The idea is to keep the original color of the wood where the logotypes and the stripes are. The rest of the body will be made darker. To make it clear for the factory in Hong Kong I have made this mock up in Photoshop.
Finally we have got our first prototypes from Hong Kong delivered. They haven’t been corrected from my last post except the wood have been stained. On the next version we will see how we to make the stripes and logotypes (the idea is to keep these areas without coloring so they stay in original light wood, instead of stickers), all details fixed from earlier feedback, head separated from body and the varnish wood.
We haven’t spent so much time on the packaging yet but they actually made some first rough boxes for us for free in this delivery, without asking. That is what I call service! The idea is also to place the woodbot inside a small designed bag, placed inside a wooden box. The color will be the same as the woodbot I think.
The eyes looks pretty funny when they just have done some big fat white dots. Here can you see the hand issue as well. They have done the hands functionality really nice when you actually can bend the fingers, but it looks little to chunky. The photos are taken on the pier outside my apartment by the way… just after the sunset.
Details from behind. I like the back of the big one best; a solid color, without any differences in tones. It gives the woodbot a luxury feeling. The reference have been Kay Bojesen’s wooden toy monkey.
Woodbot Pilots — North Kingdom’s wooden toy robots. Prototype No.2.
Some first ideas of the package design — a box in wood.
For the moment we are in contact with a factory in Hong Kong who hopefully will help us with the production. This blueprint is made for them to start making the prototypes. I really hope we will have some nice looking prototypes in the office soon!
The new arms in place. The smoother design gave them a better overall look I think. (Logotypes are missing.)
Work in progress — I’m drawing new arms for Woodbot Pilots…